For the Wood & Dale Wanderers Volksmarch Club, walking isn't just about exercise. It's a way to explore history, culture, and community. There's no better place to do that than in Historic Manassas.
From the historic train depot to the picturesque Main Street, there's always something new to discover in Manassas. This charming town is rich in history, from its role in the Civil War to its vibrant arts and cultural scene today. Walking is the perfect way to immerse yourself in all that Manassas has to offer.
The Wood & Dale Wanderers, as part of the Virginia Volkssport Association, lead walks through Manassas that showcase the town's unique blend of past and present. Along the way, walkers can admire beautiful architecture, learn about key historical events, and discover hidden gems that make Manassas such a special place.
Some of the highlights of a walk with the Wood & Dale Wanderers include:
• The Manassas Museum, which tells the story of the town's history and culture through interactive exhibits and artifacts.
• The Historic Downtown area, with its charming brick buildings, unique shops, and inviting cafes and restaurants.
• The Historic Neighborhood, with its perfectly well-preserved homes, some dating back to the civil war, showcasing that beautiful urban side of Historic Manassas.
• The Manassas City Cemetery, that has its beginnings back as far as 1866, where walkers can explore the site and learn about some of the important people in the history of Manassas.
• The Harris Pavilion, a popular outdoor venue that hosts concerts, festivals, and community events throughout the year.
It's not just the sights and sounds of Manassas that make the Wood & Dale Wanderers Volksmarch Club so special. It's also the sense of community and camaraderie that comes with walking together, sharing stories and experiences along the way.
As you walk with the club, you'll meet people from all walks of life, all united by a love of walking and a passion for exploring the world around them. Whether you're a seasoned hiker or a first-time walker, you'll find plenty of support and encouragement from the club members.
“I love that it's not a competitive sport, it's a way to stay active, healthy, sharing with other people who like to walk and know better the places you visit," says Tim Miner, a Manassas resident who does the daily tour of the historical circuit and that invites people to join this activity.
"Walking with the club is a way to have a group of people who share your tastes and it's fun," he said. The Wood & Dale Wanderers welcome walkers of all ages and abilities and provide a supportive and encouraging atmosphere for anyone looking to explore the town on foot.
After a walk with the Wood & Dale Wanderers, be sure to stick around and explore more of what Manassas has to offer. The town is filled with unique shops, galleries, and restaurants that reflect the area's rich cultural heritage and creative spirit.
So why not lace up your walking shoes and join the Wood & Dale Wanderers for a journey through time in Historic Manassas? You'll discover a vibrant community, a rich history, and a new appreciation for the power of walking to connect us to the world around us. Find out more checking their website HERE.